Monday 14 September 2015

Greece: Evi Statiri commences hunger strike in Korydallos Women's Prison


























HUNGER STRIKE

Against fear and injustice

From today, September 14, the calendar on my cell wall will not change page. This date will remain stuck there up to the day of freedom.

Today, September 14, I begin a HUNGER STRIKE for my release; against the fear of power, against the lies of journalists, against the apathy, against the silence...

Cops, judges and politicians caged my days within the walls of this prison but they cannot cage my dignity or my desire for freedom...

This is my refusal to accept the the omnipotence of power that crushes our lives by storing them inside folders filled with police records inside investigative offices, this is the legacy of collective history - the struggles of the oppressed who resisted, who revolted, who bled and still seek justice. 

It is the return of the memory of the insurgents, the suppressed and the prisoners who do not forget that freedom is not given away..but won via struggle...

“You only have power over people as long as you don't take everything away from them. But when you've robbed a man of everything, he's no longer in your power--he's free again.” - A. Solzenitsin

Evi Statiri
Korydallos Women's Prison
14.09.15.

(via Athens IMC)